Sunday 29 May 2011

Fil and Sienna

This has no horticultural significance, sorry! I few people have asked me about my horses so I thought just for fun (probably more my fun then yours) I would dedicate a blog post to my horses. My horses are what my life revolves around if they are happy then so am I.

I have a grey mare called Filly aka Sparkle aka Miss Mina (she has a range of names). This horse is the love of my life. We have had a long rollercoaster ride of a partnership. She is strong, dominating and opinionative (yes horses can be all that) but I wouldn’t change a thing about her.

My main horse Sienna (aka Blackie) is a black 5 year old Irish x Warmblood mare. She has a beautiful nature and is so kind and willing. She is completely the opposite of Fil. A very funny little horse!   

They say horses are the eye to the soul. They can fix a broken heart and they can teach you how to be strong and to trust. They are pretty powerful creatures.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liana thanks, for the comment. Though we have had problems with capeweed in the past we have'nt really with paterson's curse, just lucky as we have seen it nearby in great strength. I meant to ask you about your horses they sound great! And it sounds like Fil must be lots of fun like Banjo, a little michevious too? Sadly my horse had to be put down not long ago but I had some wonderful times with him also some pretty scary ones. He was a big leap for a beginner but I learnt so much from him and loved him a lot, (though he could be pretty terrifying in the first year or so). Have you heard much about natural horsemanship (something that really helped me understand and communicate better with him)? In time our communication became really amazingly subtle something that was really treasured by me. Riding was amazing as it became only necessary to shift in the slightest way to ask him to do something- though only on some days if he was in the mood. He was more in charge in the first year or so (me being at his mercy an annoying inexperienced and uncomfortable sack of potatoes) and I was easily bucked. Luckily I survived (as he only unseated me because I was cumbersome and uncomfortable) and quickly learnt to be light in the seat and in the aids. Any other horse (often considered easier) I found difficult to ride as they seemed like an entirely different animal, in movement at least, complaining they felt like a camel or donkey. Now I'm in search for a horse to take his place though I know it's going to be really difficult. I'm sad I never got the chance to swim him. It was a difficult decision to send him to the hunt, it was symbolic in a way as he used to do a lot in NZ (where a false trail was set for the hounds to follow) before I had him and so he'll be a part of it again. I hope one day to bring a horse up to get to experience the whole life of a horse not just a part which is often the case, though I know it won't be easy. I'm wondering what kind of history you've had with your horses. Wow this comment must way outstrip the others, sorry, it's just great to be able to talk to someone about horses. thanks from lilly.

    ReplyDelete